Dabbing is becoming a widely used and loved method of enjoying cannabis concentrates. Whether you’re low on budget or want to try new experiments, making a homemade dab rig needs to be on your list.
Dab rigs require the right skills and tools for the perfect smoking experience, but by following these steps, you can make a DIY dab rig from scratch. Before diving into how to make a homemade dab rig, let’s understand some essential parts of a dab rig.
Essential Components of a Dab Rig
You may want to get creative while making your dab rig at home, but here are some essential parts that you need to before you start the project:
Bong or Water Pipe
You will need the right-sized water pipe for your dab rig to operate. As long as it’s functional, it will give you clean and cool vapor, just like you want. The water pipe creates a passage for the smoke as it cools in the chamber.
Dab Nail or Banger
A dab nail is where you place your concentrate to vaporize. It is the area you’ll be heating to get the perfect flavor of your concentrate. The dab nail is like a thin and long cylinder situated at the end of the apparatus. The banger is more like a bowl.
You need a torch to start with your dabbing session. It will heat the dab nail or banger and bring it to a temperature that vaporizes the concentrates.
You cannot dab without a dabbing tool. It helps to load, place and manage your concentrate in the dab nail. Metal is ideal for use as a dabbing tool.
A timer is the most crucial part of a dab rig. You will need a timer to measure the time to heat and cool the dab nail. You can either use a classic sand timer or your phone's stopwatch to keep track of the time.
Making a Homemade Dab Rig
Now that you know about the essential components required for dabbing, so let’s create a homemade dab rig.
Plastic Bottle and Hot Knife Dab Rig
It is one of the easiest DIY dab rig projects. As long as you have a butter knife and a plastic bottle in your house, you can create a homemade dab rig and enjoy the smooth, clean vapor in no time. Here’s what you need to get started:
- Plastic water bottle
- Butter knife
- Paper clip
- Blow torch
Here’s what you need to do:
- Cut the plastic water bottle in half. You will only need the top half. Remove the bottle cap and put the bottle on a flat surface.
- Cut a small hole just big enough to slide your butter knife. It should be near the bottom of the top half of the bottle.
- Heat your butter knife over a stove top or use a blow torch.
- When you are ready to hit, place the knife in the square slot.
- Using a paper clip, place a small dab of the concentrate on the heated butter knife.
- When the concentrate and heated knife blend with each other, you can dab.
- Inhale the vapor from the mouth of the bottle and enjoy.
Mason Jar Dab Rig
Another simple DIY dab rig is using a mason jar. Most people have a mason jar or some similar jar lying around in their house. You can turn it into a homemade dab rig and enjoy your weed. Here’s what you need to make a Mason jar dab rig:
- Mason jar with lid
- Plastic pen
- Bendy straw
- Titanium nail
- Aluminum foil
Follow these steps to make your Mason jar dab rig:
- First, you need to drill two holes on its lid and ensure they are roughly the same size and lined up in with each other.
- Use aluminum foil to wrap the plastic pen. Put the pen in one of the holes you made on the lid. It will act as a downstem.
- Insert your titanium nail in the aluminum foil-wrapped pen. The place where the nail and lid meet should be secured using aluminum foil or glue.
- Take the bendy straw and put it in the other hole. Use aluminum foil to tightly secure the straw to the lid to ensure no air can escape. It acts as your water pipe.
- When you’re all set, fill the jar with water and start dabbing your favorite strain.
Turn Your Old Bong to a Dab Rig
You can recycle an old bong into a dab rig. Here’s what you need:
It is the most crucial part required for turning a bong into a dab rig as it changes the gender of your bong. You will need a female to a male adapter, which is available in sizes from 14 mm to 18 mm.
Dab Rig Nail
You will need a nail that fits your adapter. Choosing the right-sized adapter and nail is essential for dabbing using a bong. Dab nails are available in various materials, but quartz, titanium and ceramic are the best.
With the right-sized adapter and nail and all other components in position, you’re all set for those smooth dabs.
How Can You Dab Without a Dab Nail?
The banger or dab nail needs to be made of safe and sturdy material to withstand high temperatures. If you do not have a banger, don’t try DIY bangers made from copper, foil or other unsafe materials. The best way to dab without a banger is using a nectar collector. Explore through our collection of electric and non-electric nectar collectors.
If you feel that creating a homemade dab rig is not for you, get a portable dab rig and all the smoking accessories you will ever need.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a nectar collector the same as a dab rig?
Nectar collectors, also known as dab pipes, are handheld dab rigs used to smoke weed concentrates and can be easily carried along. Dab rigs are bigger and harder to carry around.
What can you use as a homemade dabber?
You can use a paper clip, scissors, screwdriver, metal nail file or uncoated safety pins or bobby pins as a homemade dabber.
What can you smoke out of a dab rig?
Dab rigs are used to smoke legal concentrates like wax, honey or oil.
How long should I heat my banger?
You should heat your dab nail for about 30 seconds or till the glass starts to glow red. Then, let the banger cool for about 45 seconds.